(Added link to the new version)
|Line 108:||Line 108:|
Revision as of 14:57, 30 April 2010
The information presented here covers Plasma Desktop 4.3.
Other versions available: 4.4
The Plasma Workspace is one of the key technologies of KDE SC 4.x (also known as the "Pillars of KDE"), and one of the most visible to users. As Plasma Desktop treats the user interface differently than a traditional desktop, there may be confusion as to what the Plasma Desktop is, what it does, and how to perform common tasks.
The purpose of this document is to show how to perform common tasks in Plasma Desktop. Each HowTo consists of one topic and a short animation, which is reached by clicking on the link.
- The animations are encoded in the GIF format and can thus be viewed in most modern web browsers without any additional plugins installed. Note that the animations are looped.
- Add widget to desktop
- Configure widget
- Move widget
- Resize widget
- Rotate widget
- Remove widget
- Drag widget from desktop to panel
- Add widget to panel
- Configure widget 
- Move widget
- Remove widget 
- Add spacer
- Drag widget from panel to desktop
- Change panel height
- Change panel width 
- Move panel
- Change panel alignment
- Make panel autohide
- Add new panel 
- Remove panel
- Add new activity
- Switch activities
- Rename activity
- Remove activity 
- Link activities to virtual desktops
- Use separate activity for dashboard
To link to an animation from another UserBase article, a thumbnail can be posted. Here's an example (edit this page to see the syntax):
How to unlock your widgets
The animations can also be used outside of UserBase. The BBCode (used in most forums) to post a linked thumbnail is:
Replace GIF with the URL to the GIF file. The corresponding HTML code is:
<a href="GIF"><img src="http://userbase.kde.org/images.userbase/e/e8/Plasma_howto-thumbnail.png" /></a>
A description of making the animated gif is here.
- Anne Wilson - thanks for all the help with UserBase!
- Hans Chen - current maintainer
Do you want to help out with making animations? See the Talk page to find out how!
- Note the small green arrow. You can also right click instead of pressing the arrow.
- See How can I change the height and the size of the panel? for more information.
- The right mouse button is used in this animation.
- It's not necessary to drag the extender to the desktop first.
- You can't remove the activity you "zoom out" from.