|| KMail is the email component of Kontact, the integrated personal information manager from KDE.
- Supports the standard mail protocols IMAP, POP3 and SMTP.
- Supports authentication via NTLM (Microsoft Windows) and GSSAPI (Kerberos)
- Supports plain text and secure logins, using SSL and TLS.
- Integration of international character sets
- Spell-checking (as-you-type and on demand)
- Native support for inline OpenPGP, PGP/MIME, and S/MIME.
- Reading and writing of HTML mail.
- Ability to display plain text only from an HTML mail.
- Allows you to receive and accept invitations.
- Integration with popular spam checkers, e.g. SpamAssassin, Bogofilter, etc.
- An optional spam probability meter can be displayed
- Powerful search and filter abilities
- Can import mail from many other clients
- Searching in IMAP folders fully supported
- Highly integrated with other Kontact components
- Encrypted password saving in KWallet
- Flagging and tagging of messages to aid sorting and recovery of information
- Supports mailing list management features
- Can replace text smilies with emoticons
- Displays the sender's picture or avatar if present in the address book
- Supports X-Face (b/w pictures in messages)
- Compression of attachments
KMail supports Groupware functionality. You can receive invitations from colleagues and accept them. As you accept them, they are entered into your calendar. To view your calendar, start KOrganizer or Kontact.
See this page for several views.
This page discusses the following issues -
KMail and PGP/MIME
KMail and PGP/MIME discusses:
- Installation of GnuPG
- Setting up gpg-agent and
- Checking that it works in KMail
The Development Team
A list of the many developers is available here.
FAQs, Hints and Tips
For ease of reading these have been moved to their own page.