|KPhotoAlbum is a tool which you can use to easily sort your images. It provides many capabilities to make sorting and viewing images easy.|
Earlier versions of KPhotoAlbum were released under the name "KimDaBa". The current release is KPhotoAlbum version 4.1.1 (as of May 2011).
KPhotoAlbum supports all the normal image formats including raw formats produced by most digital cameras and scanners (using dcraw to do the decoding). It is also possible to use the thumbnails embedded in raw images (that are usually of decent size and quality) for fast viewing so there is no need to decode the whole raw image.
Source packages, binaries for various distros, and snapshots are available from the project Download page.
KPhotoAlbum on Live systems like Knoppix
You can use an image file (or create your own) which integrates KPhotoAlbum in a Knoppix CD/DVD if KPhotoAlbum is missing there. The details can be found on the page KPhotoAlbum on Knoppix.
- Image::Kimdaba is a perl module available on CPAN which parses the index.xml database.
- Write your own extensions to KPhotoAlbum
- Another way to extend KPhotoAlbum is to write KIPI plugins (that are used also by other KDE photo applications). These plugins provide functions like exporting images to websites like Flickr, Picasa, Facebook, ... correcting exif date stamps or doing some other image manipulations. (KPhotoAlbum by itself does not touch the original files at all but preserves them intact).
- Read Image::Kimdaba to download it and to see available scripts
- Other useful scripts are available from Wes Hardaker's site
- With Kimdaba2Mysql it's possible to:
- insert your index.xml metadata into a mysql-database
- generate a search-formular on your website with your kimdaba-keywords, example here
- Patches and features awaiting approval or implementation - Please use bugs.kde.org for that.
With pse3tokimdaba.pl it's possible to extract information from your Photoshop Elements 3 database to create an index.xml file. There are quite a few limitations, see the above page for more details.
djKPA is a Django web site designed to be the web interface of your KPhotoAlbum photo repository. The philosophy of djKPA is be as far as possible fully automatic: labels, tags, descriptions, ... of photo come from KPhotoAlbum. Nevertheless, djKPA is a real interactive application that allows your visitors to vote, post comments, show exif, ... and visit your photos by browsing the your Tags.
Help Develop KPhotoAlbum
If you are interested in helping the KPhotoAlbum development or related projects, please look at our this project page. Or, if you have an idea for a feature, please see the Feature Requests section, below.
See the list of Bugs and workarounds in KPhotoAlbum.
Please use bugs.kde.org marking the report as a "Wish".
KPhotoAlbum now supports videos as of version 3. This can be a bit tricky to get working, as it requires certain features from your KDE software setup. KPhotoAlbum Video Support will tell you how to get it working.