(Marked this version for translation)
m (fix weird phrase)
|Line 9:||Line 9:|
is featuring a touch screen interface. The porting is done by the KDEPIM and KDE Mobile initiatives. '''Kontact Touch''' is also a full '''Kolab Groupware''' Client.
Revision as of 18:44, 20 December 2010
Kontact Touch is an email and groupware client for touch screen devices, like smartphones, netbooks or tablets. It is a sister product to Kontact Desktop based on the same backend, a full featured Kolab Groupware Client and providing end-to-end email security. Kontact Touch is based on the KDE Platform and produced by the KDE PIM and KDE Mobile initiatives. Here are some screenshots.
Kontact Touch is featuring a touch screen interface. The porting is done by the KDEPIM and KDE Mobile initiatives. Kontact Touch is also a full Kolab Groupware Client.
Currently Kontact Touch is in a beta version state. Most features are implemented and every feedback is appreciated.
- 1 Installation and Update
- 2 Getting started
- 3 Get encryption working
- 4 Contributing / Questions and Answers / Feedback / ...
Installation and Update
Use the instructions for your device,
Starting Kontact Touch
After installation you will find five new icons on your phone that open the mail, calendar, addressbook, notes and tasks frontends to Kontact Touch.
Touch one of these and it will start. Note that the first start of any of these applications will take a long time, as it has to spawn some stuff that works deep in the background. Expect an initial waiting time no shorter than a minute.
Maemo only: You can of course start each one from command line. Please use
(accordingly for the other apps), as this command sets the LD_LIBRARY_PATH correctly.
Setting up your accounts
First thing you would want to do is to set-up a new email account. To do this you start mail, pull the flapon the Homepage out, press , and then follow the instructions.
You may change the following settings, by choosing the account and use :
- Switch off interval sync. This might a bit too much if the initial sync has not gone through nicely (which is still possible with beta builds). You can turn it on later.
- Switch off handling of server side subscriptions (otherwise you might not be seeing some folder you are expecting to see).
- Enable disconnected mode for email if the number of emails you have is not that high. It mean a longer initial sync, but afterwards only changes get synced and the emails will be cached fully on the device.
Understanding the Interaction ideas
Navigate through your folders by our flatten tree view. You can also choose to see multiple folders at once, when you click onon the homepage.
Actions can be accessed through what we call flaps. You have to pull them out, in order to not mix interaction up with clicking through your accounts and folders.
We hope the other ideas are straight forward and discoverable, so we do not want to give you more hints... Give us feedback if you think we are wrong with this assumption.
Get encryption working
One of the core features of Kontact Touch is your ability to communicate safely using S/MIME or OpenPGP. Best is to set-up your personal certificate and secret key on a desktop computer, e.g. by using Kleopatra. Then transfer it to the device and import everything using Kleopatra. Check out the platform specific installation instructions for more hints.
Contributing / Questions and Answers / Feedback / ...
You discovered a defect
The overall stability of the packages is good. We do not expect any data loss or severe problems, as we share much of the codebase with the desktop client. But still: This product is under intense development at least until January 2011, so expect to experience a few issues.
Consider doing an update before reporting a problem. Chances are good that the defect has already been fixed.
Report a problem
Please report any problems to our issue tracker.
When posting a report, please add some information, so we can efficiently fix any bugs:
- On which plattform did you encounter the bug? (e.g. Maemo, Windows Mobile 6.5)
- What is the name of your device? (e.g. N900, HTC Touch Pro 2)
- What is the version Kontact Touch did you use? (You can find the version number in the about dialogue)
- Please report to the correct category: kmail-mobile (Mail), korganizer-mobile (Calendar and Tasks), kjots-mobile (Notes), kaddressbook-mobile (Contacts) or kdepim-mobile for issues that affect all applications.
- Please tag the bug with "komo3" (keyword) to help us being fast in our response.
- If you think that a screenshot might illustrate your problem well, consider making one and add it (see here for finding out how to do screenshots on a N900).
- Please provide any relevant information, so we can quickly reproduce your situation.
We are accompanying the development by steady usability work. You are very welcome to participate in this process. For this, but also for less structured feedback, consider joining our mailing list.
You want to contribute to the development
For the people with a more technical view we also communicate via a mailing list.