- Values and characters shown either in two columns (the traditional display in hex editors) or in rows with the value on top of the character
- Editing and navigating similar to a text editor
- Tools dockable on all sides or floating
- Numerical encodings: Hexadecimal, Decimal, Octal, Binary
- Character encodings: All 8-bit encodings as supplied by Qt, EBCDIC
- Fast data rendering on screen
- Support for remote files, by http, ftp, fish & other protocols supported by KDE Platform
- Export of data to text, both file and clipboard.
- Checksum/Hashsum calculator: Modular sum (8/16/32/64 bit), Adler-32, CRC-32 and Hashsums by the QCA2 library, can be SHA-0/1/224/256/384/512, MD2/4/5, RIPEMD-160, Whirlpool
- Structures tool for analyzing and editing based on user-creatable structure definitions
- 8-bit charset conversion tool
- Decoding table listing common simple data types.
- Table with complete list of all byte values
- Insert and Overwrite modes
- Unlimited Undo - Redo operations
- Find and Replace operations
- Binary Filter tool with bitwise operations:
- AND filter
- OR filter
- XOR filter
- Inverse filter
- Shift filter
- Rotate filter
- Reverse filter
"What is the relation to KHexEdit?"
Okteta is an independent new project, with a completely different codebase and architecture, written from scratch, by a different author.
KHexEdit is discontinued for the KDE 4 series, as it hasn't had a real maintainer and the port to KDE 4 was only incomplete. Okteta is first included in the 4.1 release of KDE. So in fact Okteta is the successor to KHexEdit for KDE 4.
"Are very large files (up and larger than 1 GiB) supported?"
Not yet, as it is still subject of discussion how partial loading and the related issues should be reflected in the UI.
Currently a complete copy of the file is loaded into the working memory, so please be careful if the size of the file is close to the order of magnitude of the size of your working memory.
"What about a diff tool?"
A facility to view and work on differences between files and file versions is planned for later versions of Okteta.
Structure definitions used by the kde-files.org (also used by the integrated sharing dialog in the tool's configuration).
tool can be shared on