This page has become very long and very detailed - somewhat out-of-scale with most other pages. I wonder if it would be sensible to move a lot of this content to a tutorial on 'Getting the most out of Dolphin' or some such? The Tutorials page seems to be often viewed, and I think it would actually be found more often there than in a general overview page.
I'd help with this, if we go ahead, but it will impact on the language pages, I think, so we need some agreement first. --annew 10:29, 2 October 2008 (UTC)
- It doesn't necessarily have to be a tutorial. Actually it isn't a tutorial, tip or howto but more of a handbook. My suggestion would be to split up the current Dolphin page into more manageable chunks, something like Dolphin, Dolphin/Panels, Dolphin/Views, etc. (since each section is quite long and detailed).
- As for language pages, we could just move them as well. But yes, we should wait for some agreement. Within two days perhaps? --Jucato
- Splitting of a bigger page into many small ones would work, but it is against the wiki idea, or? Could not find the link I want to give. If you split a big page in many small ones it sometimes ends in having stubs. Also it is easier to search in one page instead of getting 10 pages as a search result and grep them for desired content. Just my 2 cents. --Mark Ziegler 12:53, 2 October 2008 (UTC)
- Splitting into smaller chunks of information was just one idea. Of course we could just keep it all in one page, but definitely needs a proper table of contents. I was just thinking about the situation where the page gets too long and too overwhelming. Presenting it in more manageable chunks would be better, like what most KDE Handbooks do.
- Whichever way is chosen, the important thing is that the "front page" for each app (http://userbase.kde.org/AppName) would be a simple, digested summary of the app with all the necessary info and links that a user can read at a glance: icon, screenshot, description, website, links to further info/tutorials/tips, maybe even a developer. --Jucato
- It would be really cool if we could use expanding sections - simple page, with sections expanding on demand. I wonder if that is possible? --annew 16:13, 2 October 2008 (UTC)
To bring this into line with other applications I've written and introduction, then moved the whole of the original content to Tutorials (linked, of course). --annew 12:33, 9 November 2008 (UTC)
- This change created problems for the translated pages: The language template for the tutorial page still links translated pages to this page. As a consequence, only one of these pages can be translated, and that translation is shown both as introductory page and as tutorial.
- Currently there are danish and russian translations of the introduction and german, frensh and polish translations of the tutorial. I have corrected the language template on the tutorial page and copied the contents of of the german, frensh and polish pages there. I haven't deleted these translations from this page, so now there are two identical copies of them. Maby someone could look into this?
--Claus chr 2 August 2009
Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0
unless otherwise noted.