Tasks and Tools
Before you Start
First Things First
- You must be a registered user to contribute. The Quick Start page tells you how to register and log in.
- Be aware that your contribution will be governed by the licenses Gnu Free Document Licence and Creative Commons. Click on the images in the Navigation Panel to read the details.
- Use the Talk page to communicate with other contributors or get help.
It should relate to KDE software, directly or indirectly. We define it like this:
- For New Users - helping to get started
- For Regular Users - learning about changes
- For Advanced Users - but use sub-pages for this.
- For Developers - Techbase is the place for that
Ways to Contribute
- Update an image, replacing an outdated image with a newer one.
- Create a screenshot
- Modify existing content, fix a spelling, clarify a description, add more details.
- Create a new page, showcase an application, introduce a new concept.
- Write a manual. You need to know an application quite well, and probably to be in contact with the author. We can help you.
- Preparing a page for translation needs more patience than skill. If you can spare short periods of time, frequently, this is a very helpful task.
- Translate a page. You need to be fluent in a language, but not a professional translator to translate a wiki page. Translating manuals is the skill of a special team.
- Translate with Off-Line Tools. Get the essentials for Gettext and Import.
- How To Convert UserBase Manual to Docbook gives you an insight into the process that takes place on your finished manual.
It's important to be consistent, so here are some general rules:
- Take care with heading levels - we start at second level (Mediawiki uses top level for page-name), using "=="
- Make sure you refer frequently to this page and to typographical guidelines
- Check if all table cells have space after the pipe character. This rule conforms with traditional wiki formatting.
- Make application name formatting consistent (avoid using Amaroks, do use Amarok's).
- Ensure that all images are in PNG format (you can use JPEG (.jpeg, not .jpg) as well, but in this case you should convert your images to PNG later. Save work by converting them before you start .
- Remove all non-printable characters from image names.
Hints and Tips
Some Preferences that will help -
- If you don't have  links against the sections, open your User Preferences (Personal Tools in the sidebar) then look for Editing and set Enable section editing via  links
- While you are in those settings, enable Show preview on first edit - while you are editing you can glance at the original display for reference
- The default display is to show the preview first, with the edit box below. If you prefer the edit box at the top you can change that setting in the same place
This page was last edited on 3 November 2020, at 19:23. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.