Problems with redirected pages

Jump to: navigation, search
Revision as of 15 January 2011 at 08:29.
The highlighted comment was edited in this revision. [diff]

Page redirection does not work with the translation system! See for example the first two links in Plasma#Further information: Plasma/FAQ redirects to Plasma/FAQ/4.4. However, for the Special:myLanguage 'trick' to work we would need a Plasma/FAQ/da redirect to Plasma/FAQ/4.4/da and so on for each translation. (I assume this would work.)

This kind of solution does not seem to be maintainable. I don't see any solution to this problem that is both maintainable and elegant, so I propose a simple, maintainable but not very elegant solution:

Create an actual Plasma/FAQ page containing only links to the various versions of the FAQ. That way, when a new version of the FAQ is created, we just add a link to it here. Of course this link page should be translated. (Perhaps it would be easier to create a new Plasma/FAQ/Index page and change all links to Plasma/FAQ to this page?)

    10:11, 23 December 2010

    Do you have time to do a similar job on KAddressBook please?

      16:17, 12 January 2011

      I'll have a look at it.

        05:50, 13 January 2011

        The deed is done. I created KAddressBook/index with the links.

        I have also changed alle the links to KAddressBook that I could find to this page. That was a bit hit and miss, though. Special:WhatLinksHere gave no usefull information and the search box just took me to the page KAddressBook_4.4, so I manually went through the pages I could think of (Applications/Office as well as KOrganizer and its subpages and links found in these). It is likely that I didn't find all links.

        In the process of doing this I came across a problem in the page Akonadi 4.4/Troubleshooting. It contained many multiline input and output displays that didn't show properly: only the first line of the display was put in the box, the rest appeared below as ordinary lines. The problem was caused by preceeding the templates with one or more colons for indentation. I removed the colons, so the page displays properly now.

          20:37, 13 January 2011

          Thanks. I've seen the work and marked it as ready for translation. The problem with the multiple colons is known. Apparently when the system has to translate the wiki markup into html for display it hits this problem. Our solution is to add some indent to the style for bullets, and where more is needed a single colon can be added. Any instances of more than one colon should be cut down to a single one if really necessary, just as you have done, whenever we come across them.

          Thanks for the work

            14:05, 14 January 2011

            The problem I was talking about is related but distinct. It concerns the Input and Output templates. With those there can't even be a single colon, since then lines other than the first end up outside of the box. If you write

            {{Input|1=1. line

            2. line}}

            you get

            1. line
            2. line

            but precede it with a single colon like this

            :{{Input|1=1. line<p /> 2. line}}

            and you get

            1. line

            2. line

              08:25, 15 January 2011