Plasma 4 to 5 transition
2015-10-15 Plasma 5.4.2
- REPORTED: how to get Plasma's version other than plasmashell --version?
- e.g. Plasma menu > About...
- VERY GOOD: Alt+Tab shows clutterfree and fast a menu on the left side of the screen
- Default panel has got no Show Desktop widget - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=354240
- "On the one hand, most of the users who switch from MS Windows would miss a Show Desktop functionality. But as you say, there are other valid opinions. I would like to solve this conflict by adding a feature which is known from other complex applications: an option to choose different default settings from a list of other often-used desktops where users might want to migrate from (e.g. Window 7, MacOS X). Such a default setting could affect the default panel items (e.g. have a Show Desktop item for Windows 7) and also keyboard shortcuts (e.g. have Meta+D as shortcut for Show Desktop)."
- Plus: see (No Trash/Wastebin on desktop or panel by default?, https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=128894) Make "Folder view" the Desktop layout instead of "Desktop".
- New and interesting: icon colors: .cpp files are green, .h files are red etc. It would be nice though if executable files were not also green (like .cpp files) but different so that can be distinguished between .cpp and .h files.
Things I noticed from a user's perspective when updating from Plasma 4 to 5 using openSUSE 13.2 packages.
- A fresher look (font, spacing, colors, icon themes), great work!
- NOTE: When switching back to Plasma 4, the new icon theme was kept
- BUG: Some icons I used for custom scripts are not working, e.g.: image-zoom-in, image-zoom-out
- A "Script File" item configured in Autostarts KCM was not migrated. --> FIXED with Plasma 5.4
- Show Desktop plasmoid is missing.
- Thunderbird tray icon does not work.
- New icon of the Trash plasmoid looks strange (can be confused with former root folder icon, trash symbol hard to recognize)
- New startmenu: Homerun kicker: Favourites have icons only and no text
- Device Notifier: green check mark icon on the right side looks like "ready to use" and not "ready to plug out". Maybe there could be some explaining text except for in the tooltips. Plus: there are icons and tooltips on the left and on the right of a device item (todo: screenshot)
This page was last edited on 27 October 2015, at 19:43. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.