|Find files by name, type or content|
KFind can be used as a standalone file search tool, launched by KRunner or from your menu. It is also integrated into Konqueror and Dolphin as in the menu. Being equipped with a graphical user interface, it is often handier than the command line tool named find which requires advanced skills in instruction syntax formulation.
A search is configured in a 3-tab window.
- Specify a file name
- use wildcards * and ? in the name
- Specify a starting directory
- Decide whether you want to also search sub-directories
- Specify whether the search should be case-sensitive
- Specify whether hidden files to be shown as well
- Select the file type to be search
- Specify the search term
- it can be useful to have '*' set in the file name field in the Name/Location tab
- Select case sensitivity
- Should binary files be searched?
- Find files by creation date
- Limit the criteria by age - e.g. "during the previous 2 hours"
- Find files by size - e.g. "At Least 2 MB"
- Limit the result to files owned by a specific user or group
All criteria set will be honoured in your search - you are not limited to the specifications in one tab, so you could search for any file in the directory /home or any directory below that, containing the word "Silkstone" which must be capitalized, and is owned by the group "Accounts".