Template:I18n/Language Navigation Bar
||Find files by name, type or content
KFind can be used as a standalone search tool, launched by KRunner or from your menu. It is also integrated into Konqueror and Dolphin as "Find File" in the "Tools" menu.
A search is configured in a 3-tab window.
- The Name/Location tab
- Specify a file name
- use wildcards * and ? in the name
- Specify a starting directory
- Decide whether you want to also search sub-directories
- Specify whether the search should be case-sensitive
- The Contents tab
- Select the file type to be search
- Specify the search term
- it can be useful to have '*' set in the file name field in the Name/Location tab
- Select case sensitivity
- Should binary files be searched?
NB A "Contents" search is necessarily much slower than a filename search, so be as specific as you can when defining it.
- The Properties tab
- Find files by creation date
- Limit the criteria by age - e.g. "during the previous 2 hours"
- Find files by size - e.g. "At Least 2 MB"
- Limit the result to files owned by a specific user or group
All criteria set will be honoured in your search - you are not limited to the specifications in one tab, so you could search for "any file in the directory /home or any directory below that, containing the word "Silkstone" which must be capitalized, and is owned by the group "Accounts".
Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0
unless otherwise noted.