Thread titleRepliesLast modified
Welcome to the Translator group618:11, 14 September 2011

Welcome to the Translator group

Welcome to the Translator group. Please read Tasks_and_Tools, Translate_a_Page and Translation_Workflow before starting work. You will find lots of help linked from those pages, but please ask if there is anything you don't understand.

Mediawiki is still not strong on LTR languages, so please note the Tip on the Translation_Workflow page for working around the problem.


18:51, 6 September 2011


Thank you for adding me to the translators team. I just tested to translate the introduction page to Arabic language, after adding


to the page, it doesn't float to RTL!

Can you look at it please.

Best regards

22:20, 6 September 2011

One of us will try to find the problem today - to be honest I can't remember what we had to do to fix it last time this came up, but fix it we did, so just give us a little time :-)

06:50, 7 September 2011

Sorry, we are still struggling with it. We will solve it, but it's not easy for use, since once you try to get it working everything has to be entered RTL. Also, not being able to read the script ourselves, we are not even sure how much we are achieving. You could help, though, if you will. We are trying to see why displays differently to

Any help you can give us with this would be greatly appreciated. If you can help us identify the solution we will include it in the top on Translation_Workflow. Claus_chr is going to try to spend some time on in tomorrow. I'm on a course this week, so haven't very much time, but if necessary we will try again at the weekend when we have more time.

19:26, 7 September 2011

Hi, I think you have a problem with < div > tag, for example this part of HTML code is generated in RTL (Arabic) pages:

< div id="contentSub" lang='ar' dir='rtl' >< /div > < div id="mw-js-message" style="display:none;" lang='ar' dir='rtl' >< /div >

as you can see it is closed (< / div >) with empty content, so you must close the tag in his appropriate place (move it at the end of the Arabic content). Unfortunately I can't edit that part of code.

21:55, 7 September 2011

Hi Amine

I believe we have a solution for RTL languages (mostly, at least). Have you look at An_introduction_to_KDE/fa. Unfortunately I don't understand a single word of the translated text, but it seems to flow right to left, so I am assuming the translation is ok. I don't know if you understand it, but if you do, then please inform us if we are mistaken!

Assuming the translation is ok, the method used there should work for you as well. Have a look at the code of the page. There is also a discussion about this here.

Two things to note:

First, to edit a translated page you can't use the edit button (somewhat confusingly) - you must access the page via the LanguageStats page - assuming you have set arabic as your default language in the settings, this link should take you directly to the right language version; if not, you can enter your language code in the text field at the top of the page (arabic is ar, I think).

Second, entering the tags caused me a lot of problems - it seems parts of my system using LTR input conflicted with other parts expecting RTL input, so in the end I found it easiest to write the tags in KWrite, copy them and paste them into the wiki editor (even this would sometimes cause garbled input). I expect your system is better able to cope with these issues - I sure hope so.

It was mentioned in the previous thread (linked above) that once we upgrade our wiki software to the newest version (which hasn't been released yet, apparently), these problems should be solved.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your translations.

17:28, 8 September 2011

This page was last edited on 6 September 2011, at 18:51. Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0 unless otherwise noted.