|This is a new page, currently under construction!|
Why "Author", when we already have "Words"?
Words is a multi-purpose tool, but authors tell us that writing a novel or textbooks needs some specialised tools. Author is designed to meet those specialised needs.
- The planned outliner is in early stages, not yet ready for release. A big feature, so it may take a little time to complete. It is hoped that it will be completed for version 2.9 (2.10 at the latest).
- The next release, 2.8, is expected to include a Navigation docker, making all headings and bookmarks easy to reach.
- Word-count in the status bar
Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen writes distraction-free
- Annotations (Notes) - you can select passages and add annotations. Editors and reviewers can add comments to the annotations.
- Export to DOCX format is available.
Epub validation is in both Words and Author
Export concentrates on EPUB2, the standard used in many publishing houses, and MOBI, the format used for Amazon Kindle devices.
Planned developments include:
- Export to EPUB3 (already progressing)
- A navigation docker
- A range of section separators
- Wiki export and import
- Import of styles from an existing document.
To learn more of these plans, read [Calligra Author - The Next Step]
|Most of the functionality of Author is, or soon will be, available within Words, although less prominently.|
Content is available under Creative Commons License SA 4.0
unless otherwise noted.