- 1 What is Latte Dock? How did it begin?
- 2 How can I add launchers?
- 3 How can I add applets?
- 4 How can I enable Edit Mode in Latte?
- 5 How can I move/remove applets?
- 6 Can I disable parabolic effect for specific applet?
- 7 My launcher and its window are not associated correctly OR my launcher is using a low-resolution icon?
- 8 How Latte Dock (auto)starts and why a widget is provided?
- 9 Did any other dock inspire you? How does Latte Dock compare to other docks?
- 10 What technology/programming language does it make use of?
- 11 Ok, you convinced me to try it! How can I install it and what are it's dependencies?
- 12 Which distributions have packages for it, so to install it via P.M. ?
- 13 After the launcher bouncing animation the window showing isn't smooth?
- 14 What are some basic configuration options?
- 15 Where is the configuration(s) stored?
- 16 Inside ~/.config/lattedock-appletsrc I see various stuff. Can you explain a little the idea behind those?
- 17 What are some expert configuration options to never mess with?
- 18 How can I enable the Latte Global Shortcuts?
- 19 Can I use my super key to open the app launcher?
- 20 Latte v0.8 deactivates Borderless Maximized Windows from Active Window Control plasmoid, what can I do ?
- 21 Ok now Latte can't launch. Is there any sample config to restore to?
- 22 Can I tweak things like Dock's distance from the screen's border?
- 23 Are there preloaded layouts for Latte v0.6?
- 24 Can I tweak a launcher's ico or it's command parameteres?
- 25 Can I rearrange misplaced launchers and applets through the configuration files?
- 26 What effects does Latte Dock provide? Can launchers rotate, shake or dim when clicked?
- 27 How can someone shutdown any effect, so the icons do absolutely nothing when clicked?
- 28 Launchers are disappearing before the relevant window is shown even though they shouldnt.
- 29 I set Animations to None, but when clicking on an launcher it's icon is momentarily disappeared.
- 30 Some applets in my dock are shown too small from Plasma 5.10 and beyond, can I fix this?
- 31 My left dock behaves strangely from Plasma 5.10 and beyond, can I fix this?
- 32 So far so good, but Wayland is the future. What the plans are on this?
- 33 When support for Wayland is provided, will Latte Dock remove it's auto magical dependency of X11?
- 34 As of writing this F.A.Q. , what is the problem with Qt5.8?
- 35 Is there a way to tell Latte Dock to launch only for a Plasma session ?
- 36 Is there any other hickup or potential problem I should be careful of?
- 37 Are there any hopes and wishes for features from the Plasma upstream?
- 38 How often new versions will be released and what are your plans?
- 39 I am a complete newbie but I want to help you somehow. What can I do?
- 40 I know how to program. What can I do?
- 41 How can I install from the current master branch ?
- 42 How can I install from a specific branch ?
- 43 I added the applet, but it is shown without a shadow like the rest of the icons
- 44 What happens if I drag 'n' drop files on launchers ?
- 45 Are there known compatibility issues, with some specific graphics driver?
- 46 My Dock don't show anymore when i activate the auto-hide or the dodge window feature
What is Latte Dock? How did it begin?
How can I add launchers?
The easiest and memory efficient way is to drag n' drop them on the task manager (this is the area that dots and lines are shown under running windows).
Hint: You can add them also outside the task manager but that creates animation issues for size <64px and it is memory hungry.
How can I add applets?
Right click on your-> . From the plasma widgets explorer drag n' drop any widget you want onto your Latte dock
How can I enable Edit Mode in Latte?
In Edit Mode the user can remove applets, change their ordering and access advanced settings in various areas. To enable it the user just has to show the Latte Settings Window.
How can I move/remove applets?
You should go to Edit Mode (this is when the settings window is shown) and then you can drag any applet you want to be placed else where. At the same point you can also remove it by right clicking on it or by pressing the [X] button and the tooltip above the applet.
Can I disable parabolic effect for specific applet?
You should go to Edit Mode (this is when the settings window is shown) and hover afterwards the specific applet. Its tooltip contains a locker icon that you can use to disable parabolic effect for that applet.
My launcher and its window are not associated correctly OR my launcher is using a low-resolution icon?
That issue means that plasma libtaskmanager has not associated correctly your launcher and app windows with the relevant desktop file. Plasma is trying to be smart enough in order to identify correctly which desktop files are associated to specific windows but there are cases that it fails. Best way to solve this is to check the
StartupWMClass record in the desktop file. That record should point at the proper
WM_CLASS record at all times. For example even though Latte desktop file is called org.kde.latte-dock.desktop its
lattedock. In order to identify correctly the
StartupWMClass for an application you can use
xprop to do so.
xpropin command prompt
- Click on the window you are interested in
- Locate at the end of the output the record
- Add the previous mentioned record in the application desktop file at the
e.g. for Gimp 2.10 even though its desktop file is called gimp.desktop its
StartupWMClassis gimp-2.10' .
StartupWMClassis not needed to be added for Gimp because plasma developers have taken special care to map it properly through /etc/xdg/taskmanagerrulesrc.
How Latte Dock (auto)starts and why a widget is provided?
Latte starts from the menu; there is no need to place the widget on your desktop. It is there for testing purposes. The automatic start can be enabled through-> .
Did any other dock inspire you? How does Latte Dock compare to other docks?
Latte has an architecture inspired and based on Plasmashell, but we also took some inspiration from Plank eg: the Visibility modes.
What technology/programming language does it make use of?
Latte is mostly written in Qt/QML and C++14, but this project would not be possible without KDE Frameworks 5.
Ok, you convinced me to try it! How can I install it and what are it's dependencies?
Which distributions have packages for it, so to install it via P.M. ?
After the launcher bouncing animation the window showing isn't smooth?
Try the following steps,
- Go to-> -> -> animation
- If the problem remains then your application desktop file might be missing the StartupWMClass record. For Inkscape that would be:
StartupWMClass=inkscapeyou can use the
xpropprogram in order to identify that value correctly.
What are some basic configuration options?
Latte is highly configurable. We invite you to explore and configure latte to your pleasure from the config window. 👍 But some special features are: Visibility, Zoom Effect and Add widgets/plasmoids from Plasma5.
Where is the configuration(s) stored?
Inside ~/.config/lattedock-appletsrc I see various stuff. Can you explain a little the idea behind those?
Config is organized based on Containments (eg
[Containments]). Each of those have a number to distiguish one from the other and each one also has different blocks of options. That's where `applets` come in to play and each `Containment` has it's applets (usually one -
[Containments][Applets]). So it goes like:
Now, applet-2 maybe a series of launchers, a Plasma Widget, anything. Each and every applet also has multiple blocks of configuration. A block might be for generic applet configuration (eg
[Containments][Applets]) or about some more specific options (eg
As you can tell we can't write all about those numerous options, but here is the deal: You can tweak every applet seperately, you can change the appereance order of applets with
[Containments][General]* , you can manually change the in the same block, if want , what the has to be and etc. A sample is provided here to see for your self.
- You see, it contains all the other applets and you tweak under general options
What are some expert configuration options to never mess with?
None is forbiden, as long as you take frequent backups of your configuration. Use cron or similar software to automate the procedure and place them in an safe place.
How can I enable the Latte Global Shortcuts?
In most cases you need to go at-> -> and enable what shortcuts you need.
- Super + No: Activate a task
- Super + Ctrl + No: A new instance for a task
- Super + `: Show a hidden dock
Can I use my super key to open the app launcher?
First make sure Latte Dock is not open.
Of course you can but you will need to add at your ~/.config/kwinrc file the following code:
Then reload KWin with:
qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin reconfigure
Alternativily you can run the following commands:
kwriteconfig5 --file ~/.config/kwinrc --group ModifierOnlyShortcuts --key Meta "org.kde.lattedock,/Latte,org.kde.LatteDock,activateLauncherMenu" qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin reconfigure
Latte v0.8 deactivates Windows from Active Window Control plasmoid, what can I do ?
Latte v0.8 supportsWindows per layout simultaneously. In order for this to work it had to support that feature internally. You can try the following:
- DisableWindows from
- Go to-> -> and enable
- Return to your layouts and a new column calledmust have been added, add a check mark in that column for the layout you want that feature and click
Ok now Latte can't launch. Is there any sample config to restore to?
You have been told to take backups. Unfortunatelly unless you post your configuration to get help, little can be done now; just `killall -9 latte-dock`, delete your configuration and restart Latte in order to reconfigure it. A configuration exists [here](http://pastebin.ca/3772307) but it's most likely useless to you.
Can I tweak things like Dock's distance from the screen's border?
You can minimize the distance, but not directly tweak it. Go to-> and select
Are there preloaded layouts for Latte v0.6?
In Latte v0.7 the layouts have been added by default in Appearance page. For previous v0.6 the users can use Preloaded Layouts file, that contains four of the most used layouts (Default, Unity, Plasma, Favourite)
Can I tweak a launcher's ico or it's command parameteres?
You could set it up at you plasma environment and drag n' drop it onto your Latte dock
Can I rearrange misplaced launchers and applets through the configuration files?
If you misplaced a launcher (or a whole applet), open ~/.config/lattedock-appletsrc. Search your launcher and decide where you want to place it. Cut
(yes, the semicolon too) and paste it after the launcher - and before it's semicolon - you wish. Be very careful; Only the last launcher doesn't need a semicolor afterwards! So if you are copying your launcher between two others, you have to make sure that both before and after your launcher, a semicolon exists. Let's see an example; let's say you need to copy `transmission-qt` launcher:
If what you want to reposition is a whole applet, rather than a launcher in an applet, you will find `appletOrder` very usefull. Just note your applet's number and change the order in which applets are written in the previously mentioned option. Have I mentioned to keep a backup before you edit? I did now.
What effects does Latte Dock provide? Can launchers rotate, shake or dim when clicked?
Latte only has the zoom effect and the shadows, but we are very concerned about delivering an excellent user experience.
How can someone shutdown any effect, so the icons do absolutely nothing when clicked?
You can disable all animations through-> -> ->
Launchers are disappearing before the relevant window is shown even though they shouldnt.
I set Animations to , but when clicking on an launcher it's icon is momentarily disappeared.
This bug is already fixed in current master and will be included in the next (0.6.0) release. So all you have to do is
git pullthe latest changes of master, or wait for the next stable version if you like so.
Some applets in my dock are shown too small from Plasma 5.10 and beyond, can I fix this?
In Plasma 5.10, the plasma developers decided that the applets in the panels should have a maximum size that they shouldnt overcome. You can change this at plasma-> -> -> -> set a size of 256px.
My left dock behaves strangely from Plasma 5.10 and beyond, can I fix this?
In Plasma 5.10, the kwin developers introduced the gestures functionality for touch screens which is enabled by default for all systems. You can disable it through plasma-> -> . Relogin your plasma session if the change doesnt take effect immediately.
So far so good, but Wayland is the future. What the plans are on this?
We plan it for Plasma 5.10, but we are working from now on to offer experimental support
When support for Wayland is provided, will Latte Dock remove it's auto magical dependency of X11?
It's still a long way off for Wayland to replace X11, but it's possible to build Latte without dependencies X11, however we are still working on supporting Wayland.
As of writing this F.A.Q. , what is the problem with Qt5.8?
Is there a way to tell Latte Dock to launch only for a Plasma session ?
Of course you can, please follow these steps:
- Go to-> ->
- Choose Latte Dock from applications list
Is there any other hickup or potential problem I should be careful of?
Software as everything else in life, isn't perfect; we constantly try to make a better software and you can help us out with this by reporting every possilbe problem you may find. To answer the question though, there isn't a bug serious enough to prevent you from trying Latte Dock.
Are there any hopes and wishes for features from the Plasma upstream?
The most important feature needed from KWin in wayland is the distrors to provide access at kwayland's priviliged apis (and/or) for the users, a confirmation from them that Latte requests such apis
How often new versions will be released and what are your plans?
The first priority to release a stable version is for all the needed features to have been implemented and no major crashes to appear. So we try to keep the schedule but on the other hand it will be ready when it is ready.
I am a complete newbie but I want to help you somehow. What can I do?
As we write this F.A.Q. much help is needed to make Latte stable with multiscreen setups. You could clone the `multiscreens` branch and report back any issues. Also normal bug reports, reports about problems with specific Plasma or Qt versions, strange desktop behavior or even wishes about new features are all welcome :-)
I know how to program. What can I do?
First step is to know what you are after and then to `fork` this repo; after that you can hunt bugs, add new features - or make more stable those already existing. Discuss your changes and if they are good and reasonable enough, we are more than happy for your pull request.
How can I install from the current master branch ?
You can easily, download and instal from the last master branch by running a script with commands:
git clone https://github.com/psifidotos/Latte-Dock.git` cd Latte-Dock sh install.sh
The last command might ask for your root password, just before installing.
How can I install from a specific branch ?
If you wish test some features currently non existing in master branch, you have to checkout the branch you wish to install. Let's say you need the multi2 branch:
git clone https://github.com/psifidotos/Latte-Dock.git` cd Latte-Dock git pull git branch multi2 git checkout multi2 git pull origin multi2
Compile as usual.
I added the applet, but it is shown without a shadow like the rest of the icons
Well, if an applet (or more) hasn't a shadow, you should either double-check that optionis set under ->
What happens if I drag 'n' drop files on launchers ?
The file will be passed as a parameter to the specific application, creating a new instance (eg passing an image to kolourpaint, will open the image with kolourpaint)
Are there known compatibility issues, with some specific graphics driver?
If you have Intel Graphics and experiment problems with the rendering e.g. pixelated graphics, corrupt text, etc, you can try changing the rendering method 2D from SNA to UXA.
section "Device" Identifier "Intel Graphics" Driver "intel" Option "AccelMethod" "uxa" EndSection
My Dock don't show anymore when i activate the auto-hide or the dodge window feature
Apparently some features from plasma can hinder the dock's ability to show itself when touching the screen border. Plasma 5.10 added the option to execute actions on swiping over a border on a touch screen. You can find this option in the system preferences under: #676)-> . If you have your dock on the same border a touch gesture is activated the dock may not be able to show itself. Try deactivating the gesture on that border, then close and restart your session and check if the problem was fixed. (