|thumb|150px|left|||View, manage, edit, enhance, organize, tag, and share photographs.|
DigiKam supports import of photos from cameras, creation of albums, tagging with dates, subjects and other properties, and excellent search facilities. Please consult the manual for full details, including picture formats supported.
Managing your Photos
Digikam provides advanced functionality to manage your photos. You can view your photos in chronological order, or classify the photos in different albums, there is also the possibility to organize your photos with the localization they were taken.
Moreover, Digikam also provide multiple search features, you can do a simple keyword search, but also advanced search on the metadata and even some fuzzy search, where you draw a pattern and Digikam try to find matching photos. Digikam can also found duplicate in your library.
Digikam can also display the Exif information of your photo.
The Image Editor
- Image:Digikam metadata.png
- Image:Digikam rating.png
Assigning a Rating
- Image:Digikam adjust levels.png
Adjust Colour Levels
- Image:Digikam white balance.png
White Balance Adjustment
- Image:Digikam b w.png
Convert to Black and White
- Image:Digikam redeye.png
- Image:Digikam colorCorrection.png
Auto Colour Correction
- Image:digikam lens correct.png
Lens Auto Correction
The Camera Interface
- Image:Digikam card media.png
Read from Removable Media
- Image:Digikam camera.png
or from Camera
- Image:Digikam album-save.png
Save direct to Albums
- Image:Digikam geolocation2.png
Add Geolocation to Individual Photos
The Light Table
- Image:Digikam compare-range.png
Compare from a range of photos
- Image:Digikam examine-details.png
- Image:Digikam rate-range.png
Rating makes choice easier
- Image:Digikam lt-settings.png
See the camera settings
For those who find the DigiKam interface a tad too technical, ShowFoto gives access to the same tools, with a popular interface.
- Image:Showfoto browse.png
- Image:Showfoto properties.png
- Image:ShowFoto select.png
See image properties
- Image:ShowFoto geolocation.png
- Image:ShowFoto zoom.png
- Image:ShowFoto histogram.png
- Image:ShowFoto general.png
- Image:ShowFoto tooltips.png
- Image:ShowFoto raw-image.png
Raw Image Settings
- Image:ShowFoto color-management.png
Colour Management Settings
- Image:ShowFoto save.png
File Saving Options
- Image:ShowFoto slideshow.png
Configure a Slideshow
The section on Digital Asset Management is no longer on the web pages, but in the manual, which may be present on your installation as digikam-doc, or you can download a set of .pdf files, digikam.pdf, showfoto.pdf and kipi-plugins.pdf
The blog Open Source Photo Processing Comes of Age by rm42 highlights developments since the KDE 3 version, and provides a useful tour.
We have a growing collection of tutorials that will help you get more enjoyment and productivity from digikam. The Digikam tutorials page lists them with a brief comment on content.
Useful digiKam Tricks
Transcribed from Dmitri Popov's blog, 26 September 2011
- To quickly adjust thumbnail size in the Album view, press and hold the Ctrl key, then use the mouse scroll wheel to make the thumbnails larger or smaller.
- With the feature enabled, digiKam automatically hides originals and displays the latest modified versions of the photos. For example, if you process a NEF file and save it in the JPEG format, digiKam hides the original RAW file and shows only the JPEG photo. To disable this feature, choose and make sure that the option in the In main view section is enabled. To keep things tidy, you can then group the original and all its versions. To do this, select the photos you want to group, right-click on the selection, and choose .
The trash has reached its maximum size! Cleanup the trash manuallyIf you receive this error message and emptying the Trash doesn’t help, then the following command may solve the problem:
- Need to quickly locate all untagged photos? In digiKam, expand the left sidebar, and press the button. In the window, tick the check box and press to run the search.
- Instead of the conventional thumbnail view, digiKam lets you map your photos on a globe. Choose , and you should see photos from the current album mapped on the 3-D globe. You can then use the mouse to rotate the globe and the mouse wheel to zoom in and out. Obviously, the Map view displays only geotagged photos.
Digikam is available for Linux, Windows and MacOS. For Linux, you can find Digikam in your distribution repository or you can also download Digikam as an AppImage.
For Windows and MacOS, you can download Digikam binary on the digiKam website download page.
Beta version and source code are also available on the digiKam website download page.
There is a lot of tutorials about using Digikam. These tutorials are taken from Dmitri Popov and Mohamed Malik blogs about using Digikam, and have given us permission to reproduce them.